SAINT BENEDICT'S CHAPEL
The construction of this chapel, which extends the left arm of the transept towards the south, began in 1735. Its altarpiece, from early 18th century, is made out of gilded wood and paintings. It was transferred there from the Abbey of Saint-Michel-de-Cuxa, during the French Revolution (1789).
The art of the painter reveals a Spanish formation palette.
From top to bottom and left to right,
here are the different elements forming St Benedict’s altarpiece :
Carving, at the very top :
Armorial bearings of the donor
Paintings, 3rd level :
St Benedict painted as the donor (Medallion)
Healing of a man, who was poisoned by revenge
Saint Scholastica, St. Benedict’s sister (Medallion)
Paintings, 2nd level :
Reprimand towards the monk who thought himself humiliated having to hold the candlestick during the meal, before the table of St Benedict
Interview between Totila, King of the Goths, and St Benedict, whose prophetic spirit he just put to the test, disguising his equerry as a king
Reprimand towards the two monks who ate out of the monastery without permission
Paintings, 1st level :
St Benedict handing over 13 pennies of gold miraculously found, to a desperate debtor who had implored his help
Punishment of the monk that a black imp was leading away from the oratory at the time of prayer
Statue, 1st level in the middle :
** The raven, that was still to be seen a few years ago at the foot of the statue, is one of the attributes of the Patriarch of the West, but it was stolen. It still appears on four paintings of the altarpiece. The legend relates, indeed, that a raven came every day to the monastery to be fed by St Benedict.
“Cadireta” (little chair) carried in procession, with Virgin and Child. Workshop of J. Sunyer. 18th.
Traduction : Gaëlle GUILLAUME